Skip to main content

Baking, maybe... UPDATE

While wandering around YouTube, I came across this video https://youtu.be/m08i8oXpFB0 on making baguettes. I've never been that much on baking (box cake mix, refrigerator tube biscuits, occasionally, cookie dough in a roll). This bread recipe didn't seem too involved, not for the payoff. Who doesn't like fresh baked bread? The recipe calls for 'bread' flour -- I've never heard of such a thing. Swell, research -- what is it, do I need it? Found this video https://youtu.be/z6FUSo8Lyw4 and decided that the flour I knew was in the cabinet would be fine. Also got another, easier bread recipe from the second video -- a win all around. 

Off to the cabinet. Grabbed the yeast package strips that have been in the way of the oatmeal all winter. Oh swell, research again. How long after the 'use by' date is instant yeast good for? Ugh, *that's* not promising (12-18 months). How do you know if instant yeast is still good? Aha! It's still good. It's maybe more than good(?). Oh, that was longer than the 10 minutes for the 'test', so never mind the overflow. Okay, what else? A little over a pound of flour (after converting grams to ounces); back to the cabinet. Towards the back, the freezer zip bag it's kept in, just.. barely.. fingertips... grrr, get step stool, then get flour. Yes, there's plenty left in the already opened bag. Zip bag still sealed, good.

Apparently, at my previous home, before we even moved up here, I was going to do some baking, I don't remember what or whether I actually did. These pantry items have kept us company, traveled to our new home with us, and have been in the cabinets here since 2011. Taylor's second daily thyroid dose alarm just went off, so I must do that. 


Baking Ingredients 2020 (vintage - use by May, Aug 2006)

After dosing the cat, I snapped the pic and wrote this. I probably will try the bread recipe(s) over the weekend. I don't think there's any dread condition or disease you can catch from eating baked old flour mixed with old yeast. I'll let you know how it turns out. It will be fine, hahaha. 


UPDATE: Apr 29th - I just remembered to snap this pic. I made 2 loaves this past Sunday, not in loaf pans. This baggie is all that's left. One seemed kinda dry and one seemed too wet (as dough), but both baked up as surprisingly good bread! I may do again. It was time-consuming overall, but the actual 'work' time was relatively minimal. Brad liked it a lot. It will probably be even better with fresher ingredients, LOL! I made a nice "Sunday dinner" with baked ham, boiled red potatoes, steamed fresh asparagus, garden salad, and the freshly baked, warm bread. We (cleared off the h'bird feeders, ant moats, whatnot then wiped and) set the actual dining table(!) with cloth napkins and table cover, china (full place setting each), crystal stemware, and silver hollow-ware. Used all china serving dishes and platters, and silver serving utensils. Even used the butter knife, and sugar shell was on the table, but not used. It seemed a bit luxurious; we only occasionally use the dining table, and even more rarely the full "formal" dinnerware. Had a nice spiced wassail with the meal. It was a nice change! And, we have left-overs for at least a week, LOL. 


Comments