Skip to main content

What is Sikhi(sm)

What is Sikhi (sometimes called Sikhism)? This one of my personal policy "Learn Something New Every Day" items for today. The first thing I learned is that I've been pronouncing it wrong -- it is not double-e (seek) but more like short "i" and really hard "k"(sicK). The first video is a brief overview and introduction including the disappearance and reappearance (after talking to 'god') of the first guru. I found it an interesting story. It did not cover any distasteful beliefs or practices, so I don't know if this religion succumbs to any. 




This second video presents a fuller, more complete (in spite of its cartoonish look) description and explanation of the practices of the Sikhs of (most of) the world. There are some different practices among geographic areas. Engaging, easy to grasp concepts. I did see women are equal to men -- there are no second class citizens (Indian castes) in the tenets as presented here. I liked that.




I found the first of these while looking into a frequently misunderstood Ben Franklin quote. I wanted to be proactive in what I expect will be among the first knee jerk reactions to an AXIOS article I recently posted. This somehow led to a science and religion buff's rebuttal video (https://youtu.be/oZ7MXOuiJJ4) to a Christian apologist's video on the falsity of evolution (why do apologists so often mis-use science to disprove a scientific principle?), which then led to a small series of What is [several lesser known religions] videos from the YouTube suggestion algorithm. You gotta love the way that thing works, LOL. I'm looking forward learning to a bit more than I know about Zoroastrianism and some others. 





Comments