Skip to main content

Saved By Family

Hello Thoughtful Thursday. Religious nonbelievers are frequently harassed in the name of 'being saved'. I don't mean the bigotry, obnoxiousness, condemnation and so on from acquaintances (or strangers). I'm talking about the loving, deeply held belief that [some] family members think they will "save me from hell". Ah, jeez! 

Fortunately, I have read the religious texts, various versions of them. Mom, if you truly believed your writings, then you know that I was saved long ago because *you* believed, Acts 16:31. Daughter, forget the naysayers who claim it doesn't mean what it clearly says; that it was 'modified' when taken 'in context'; "they" aren't 'Real Christians'! Wasn't I 'saved' when Mom had me baptized as a baby? (Don't mention my DeBaptismal Certificate, LOL) Wasn't I confirm-saved when I ate those blessed crackers (cookies? wafers?) that morning at church? (Don't mention I was 6-7, maybe 8yo, and starving. They had already 'advanced me' from Sunday School, hahaha.) Salvation is not a matter of choice. You can't work your way into it with righteous deeds, nor work your way out of it with unrighteous deeds; we're saved by grace, by gift. There's no limited number of people who will go to their reward. The spirit [of truth] is within me, John 14:17. Once saved, always saved (unconditional security). You have faith, right? You love your family, just as I do, right? The pressure usually simmers down to a relieved, dull background noise after a few conversations like this. 

Because I do love my family so much more than those writings would allow me to (god/jesus/other deity or preacher says love ME above all else). There are numerous other passages and quotes you can use to mollify your loved ones. This clearly says all people whether or not they believe. “God… is the Savior of all people [and especially of those who believe]”, 1 Timothy 4:10 and “For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people”, Titus 2:11. The best retort to any of their objections after presenting your reassuring evidence is, of course, Don't you have faith [god/jesus/allah, who/what ever applies] loves us and willingly paid its own bounty to forgive us? 

This "family problem" frequently comes up on RfR where I volunteer. I can't really send a link to this piece; we try to remain anonymous there. It's difficult to put these ideas into short verse and still fully explain the concept. Any suggestions on abridgement would be welcome, as would any further ideas. People are traumatized by the dogmatic teachings for years after breaking free, especially that bit about eternal torture. The ad running a few years ago from the Latter Day Saints that set my father-in-law off isn't doing its job (that god loves you more than your parents love you). Every parent knows it is not possible for anyone to love my child more than I do. 

NOTE for fkn image missing style tags: within 'image' tag -  "clear: left; float: left; margin-bottom: 1em; margin-right: 1em;" data-original-height="500" This 'new' editor reeks! A couple new, useful features does not make up for the corruption of embedded images nor the non-adjustable tiny, tiny font of the html editor. IMO of course. Remember tho, Bloggspot blogger IS free, soo...


Comments