Skip to main content

Oh no! Not again

A Rescuer's Thoughts...

The last male cat was recently blessed with adoption.

Just saw a young feral tom on the deck.

No! Not a colony up here;

   that was one of my biggest fears!

Gotta look into it, I've gotta check.

To leave that unanswered isn't an option.


I'm tired, burned out, been doin' it too long... 

Precious, one of the first, is slowly dying, starving herself.

  Companion to Boots her litter-mate, was epileptic himself.

Tasha's ear goo stimulant for a day or two helped a tiny bit

   about a month ago when Precious first started it.

She's almost 16 now, litter was found about 3-weeks along.


To again set up a shelter, feed 'til he trips the trap.

Hope my old vet will help again with the medical care.

The vets up here are surprised by my queries.

Folks up here may ignore or even shoot the cats. 

   Or call me to come get them, take them away, get them out of their hair.

A deliberate misunderstanding of TNR? The 'return' part is their cap.


They'll listen to my spiel on vetting, then barn homes for them; just shelter,  

   dry food, and unfrozen water might help keep vermin to a minimum...

You could set out straw and dry cat food in the shed by the pond quay.

Why feed them if they're going to catch mice? asks the ultracrepidarian.

We'll call the exterminator they say, ignoring the harm 

   that might cause to their their horse or donkey.

I quietly sigh as he shoos me away, a bit too swiftly, a bit helter-skelter.


I only trap on my own property but I'll consult with or help

   folks who contact me for advice. 

I can't do it alone. Real help takes some doing 

   on your part too, a bit of your actual sacrifice.

   A little time, a little money, a little desire and effort.

This time of year, any females won't be near queening, or whelp.


So anyway this not quite orange, kinda dusty orange young male.

Maybe the old dog house within the woods edge?

It came with the property, just beyond the lawn hedge.

Too far for the electric water bowl, but maybe he won't again regale

   me with his presence, or maybe he'll trap before a real freeze.

Right now he looks hearty and hale. I can't just ignore him, 

   even if no one agrees.

I'm tired. I don't need this. I don't want to do this again.

But, Dusty *is* a good name for vet's records, don't you think?



Comments